Got the Sniffles?
May is National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month. Throughout this month, we will provide health tips to soothe your stuffy nose and sneezes. With allergy season in full swing, your negative reactions may occur when coming in contact with normally harmless substances. According to the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology, about half of the U. S. population suffers from allergies. Some allergies may disappear over time, while seasonal attacks will return at the same time each year for only a few weeks or months.
Symptoms of allergies include:
- Red, itchy or watery eyes
- Dry throat
- Stuffy Nose
Try these tips to alleviate allergy symptoms:
- Stay indoors when the pollen count outside is high
- Keep your home clean and as dust-free as possible
- Place pillows, mattresses and duvets in allergen proof encasements
- Use a vacuum cleaner with double bags, allergen-trapping bags or a HEPA filter
- Avoid having pets or going near other pets if you have animal allergies.
- In your home, choose hardwood floors instead of carpeting.
Treatment for most allergies is available over-the-counter or by prescription. If your symptoms do not go away after a few days of over-the-counter treatment and rest, consult your doctor for potential allergy treatment options to alleviate your symptoms. Call us today for more information on allergy tips and health insurance coverage 716-688-8888